Choose the Best Pipe Reamer
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Pipe Reamers
46 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
A cake is a playful word used for the deposit of burnt tobacco, carbons and other elements that gathers around the pipe bowl. Consisting mostly of sugars, it offers a pleasant taste and protects the pipe from high heat.
Typically, the cake built during the smoking process is not very useful in large volumes, moreover, an excessively thick layer can lead to the fact that the pipe will crack. And in some pipes, the presence of the cake is unacceptable.
Throughout the entire smoking period, the edges of the tamper should carefully scrape off the carbon deposits that have begun to form from the inner walls of the bowl. Trimming the carbon debris is a very important part of keeping your pipe functional. The thickness of the cake should not exceed 1-1.5 mm.
When this occurs, the coating has to be minimized or eliminated, which can be quickly done with a reamer tool.
A reamer is a flat tool, formed like a blunt pen-knife blade or a flat spoon, used to remove ash and unburned tobacco (dottle/cake) from the sides and bottom of the pipe.
If you are prone to pipe smoking, then at some point you’ll need a top-notch pipe reamer. The guide focuses on some of the industry’s best pipe reamers. Check the specs in the comparison table and buying tips in the section below the expert reviews of each model.
Mr. Brog Tobacco Pipe Reamer Tool– the best for beginners!
Because of the pivot of the blades, it cleans the excess cake in a manner that makes the residual chamber conical, as certain smokers like to produce an extreme taste at the end of the smoke.
- Easy to use;
- Adjustable blades;
- Precise and clean cuts;
- Standard bowl fit;
- Good only for light reaming;
Being less than $10, it’s not a steep investment, and it might come in handy if you decide to do some quick and soft reaming. This tool slices the cake with a nice cut across the bowl. You’re going to be forced to make the carbon pile up as dense as a dime.
Scotte Stainless Steel Reamer Tool– the best for the blades!
The tip may be modified. For very precise/incremental reams, screw-down modifications may be made.
- 6 adjustable blades made of steel;
- Very practical design;
- Easy control of the cake thickness;
- Convenient handle;
- The wire spring holding the teeth may pop off;
- Hard to clean around the base;
After applying it to the old bowl, you should verify that it turned out to be almost brand fresh without the “fresh pipe” flavor. It can also fit into the shortest 0.75-inch bowl pipes.
Royal Meerschaum Pipes Reamer– for serious pipe reaming!
The drill clips easily into the back of the instrument so that it’s still convenient. The reamer is constructed of top-notch aluminum and stainless steel for a lifetime.
- Professional-grade reaming;
- Includes a drill;
- Nice design of the blades;
- Easy to adjust;
- Too large for small pipes;
- Lacks instructions;
This product is a precision reamer. In one direction these blades are very sharp. But from the other end, they are dull for additional safety issues. It’s a smart idea to split a dense cake. The device includes a simple stem reamer within the top, only screws it out for use, and then returns it to the tool for later use.
Mudder 3-in-1 Cleaner Tamper Tool– the best for design!
- Multi-functional use;
- Beautiful design;
- Easy to carry;
- A good gift choice;
- A little larger than most reamers;
The reamer can be conveniently slipped into your pocket/backpack for easy transportation, and it is a versatile tool that offers both a stunning look and a range of functions.
Joyoldelf Portable Smoking Pipe Cleaning Tool– the best for versatility!All the parts are durable because of top-notch stainless steel. You can also use this method to clean shishas, water pipes and hookahs.
- Even scraping;
- Comes with a flannelette pouch;
- Lifetime warranty;
- A good gift pick;
- The tool is thin;
- The tamper is flimsy;
The design of the Joyoldelf flannelette pouch will comfortably fit the pipe and other accessories you need. It’s easy for you to vape everywhere you are, it doesn’t take up additional room, it’s great for travel bags.
The Buyer’s Guide
Major types of tobacco pipe reamers
1) The British Buttner. It’s a traditional weapon, and it’s the most economical. This spring reamer is filled so that it still fits snuggly in the bowl, which ensures that the pressure is applied. They are usually 3⁄4 inch wide, which matches most regular pipes. This tool is suitable for pipes with a U-shaped cavity. What makes this tool so famous is its ability to hit the bottom of most of the chambers very quickly, a function that most other tools have difficulty with.
2) The Senior Pipe Reamer. With tapered sharp edges and a V-shaped bottom (which clearly goes great for V-shaped chambers), this reamer tool is suitable for most tubing. This reamer is liked because the diameter of the reamer shifts with a little torque. This ensures that when you ream, you will steadily expand the reamer to accommodate the cake, making it the best reamer to be used on your pipes.
The Senior Reamer design fits best in the “U” shaped container, whilst the more tapered form of the British Buttner design fits very well with the “V” shaped chambers. There are also generic packages available that have a number of parts attached to match all the various shapes of the tobacco chambers.
The Senior Reamer is wider and quicker to use than the British Buttner. It is advised that you have both types of them if you can.
Pipe reamers vs other tools:
- Sandpaper. Some people enjoy their direct, hands-on method. They also want to take a small sheet of sandpaper, place it on a thumbnail, and gently sand down the cake. This method may be reliable, but only in the hands of skilled woodworkers and craftsmen who know how to sand properly. If you’re a beginner with sandpaper, skip it and choose a professional pipe reamer;
- Dremel. Another tool used by woodworkers. A rock sander connected to the end of the tool may be a simple and easy process, but only in the right hand. This is a really risky way to ream. It requires the calm hand and perfect eye for detail to be applied correctly. Don’t try this approach unless you are a really seasoned restoration specialist;
Blades of a tobacco pipe reamer
Reamers have simpler blades fixed or spring-loaded, more expensive models are equipped with several adjustable blades for bowls of different diameters, the sharpening angle is close to 80-90 degrees.
- Do not use pipe tool attachments that look like scoopers. You may damage the briar when cleaning the cake with this tool;
- When inserting a reamer, use a little bit of friction between the tool and the cake;
- Twist until the friction completely disappears;
- Dump the dust, then expand the blades and process slowly;
- Scrape gently until you can see that it is possible to decrease the reamer’s size;
- Do not push harder on the shank side;
- Never ream down to the fresh wood;
- Try reaming evenly and consistently around the bowl’s diameter;
Hopefully, now you know more about pipe reamers and how to pick these smoking accessories. Remember – only a top-notch tool may prolong the service of a tobacco pipe. Leave feedback about your ways and tools for pipe reaming.